Music Technology - Open Sessions
Faculty: Rahul Nadkarni - Current Artist in residence at the Indian Sonic Research Organisation
MUSIC TECHNOLOGY : OPEN SESSIONS
THIS IS A GENTLE INTRODUCTION TO MUSIC TECHNOLOGY. YOU WILL LEARN FROM SOME OF THE MOST ACCLAIMED COMPOSERS AND MUSICIANS IN INDIA TODAY, THE TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES OF CRAFTING SOUND AND ELECTRONIC MUSIC. SOME OF THE SUBJECT AREAS OFFERED IN THIS WORKSHOP INCLUDE RESTRUCTURING SOUND, SAMPLING, ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC COMPOSITION AND THE BASICS OF STUDIO BASED PRACTICE.
- The workshop will commence with individual sessions to gauge which aspects of music technology you would like to focus on during the course and how it connects to your current practice. As most of your time will be spent working independently or in a small group, participants are encouraged to bring in ideas or projects at any stage of development. Goals will be set for each week and our faculty will be available to guide you through the process whenever required.
- Support is offered for any music or sound related software but depending on what you would like to achieve by the end of the course, the best fit will be recommended. [ Time limited free trials and educational discounts are available for all the major DAWs ]
The focus of teaching blocks of the workshop will be to help you fully understand the scope of the tools available to you as a practitioner working with sound or music in any capacity. A grounding in the history and science behind these tools will help inform how you can approach them creatively.
DURATION:2 sessions every week of hands-on instruction and personalised feedback on your work. Exact time and dates are TBD
All social distancing and COVID protocols must be followed
MATERIALS & TOOLS REQUIRED BY STUDENTS
Laptop + Headphones ( REQUIRED )
Audio / MIDI Interface ( OPTIONAL)
Field Recorder / Microphones / Musical Instruments ( OPTIONAL )
Instructions / prerequisites if any.
None. This is a beginners workshop. Some previous experience with music or sound is a plus.
Session breakdown for students who do not have a specific project to work towards :
Session 1 :
- Installing and configuring Ableton Live - Basics of the Ableton interface in Session View
Session 2 :
- Recording your own samples / working with prerecorded samples - Basics of re-shaping Audio in Session View
Week 2 :
Session 1 :
- Understanding Clip, Launch and Envelope Modes - Creating a basic track structure using Ableton Scenes
Session 2 :
- Understanding the role Level, Pan and EQ - Understanding basic Compression, Reverb and Delay - Inserts vs Sends
Sanjay Sudarshan - email@example.com
Dhatri S Aradhya - firstname.lastname@example.org
Archita Johari - email@example.com
Download Link for Ableton Live 11 90 day free trial : https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
Tues 2/3/21 - Topics covered - Ableton Session View Layout / MIDI and Audio Tracks / Recording in Session View / Shaping sound using the Amp Envelope
Electronic Music Composition